Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"I would do it all again, if I could"

Recently, I was in a conversation with a mom of 20 or so plus years.  She was talking to me and another pregnant woman (first timer) and the conversation was about our growing baby bumps and it turned to how wonderful it is.  The first time mom was expressing the typical concern about birth.  The second time mom, me, was also expressing the typical concern about birth.  Both concerns completely valid and both concerns from different perspectives.

The veteran mom stated "I would do it all again if I could".  It was this line that struck me and I knew that she was right.  I'm back in the pregnancy pants again and although I know what to expect with pregnancy (kind of) and birth (kind of) and parenting a child (but not a second one), it is obvious that mothers do this all the time and more than twice.

So it made me just think about my known fears of second pregnancy and birth.  And it made me wonder why we do it again? These days I talk to my "Bro" about once a week and see him at least once per month.  We still tease each other and joke and I really think that we get a kick out of being together...and mostly supporting each other through life.  I tell him what to do...he tells me what to do.  I listen...he listens.    I think my relationship with him is part of why I'm back in the prego pants again.

Sure, having a cute cuddly baby around the house is cute and cuddly, but lets get real.  It only lasts a short time before they're running around half naked and telling you "NO".  AND, when they are really little, they aren't always cute and cuddly.  Things aren't always the hallmark card.

So the real deal here is that Eli is going to be a pretty fun big brother.  If I could hope for one thing it would be that I catch the two of them  somewhere exploring the woods together or discovering the joy of splashing water or climbing a tree.  I would wish for this moment just before they wrestle each other to the ground over a favorite matchbox car.  If they end up not wrestling...I'll take that too.

So it is too late for me to ask myself if I want to do it all again.  However, I'm doing it again so I must have thought it was a good idea about 5.5 or 6 months ago.

No comments: