Thursday, February 24, 2011

Weekends at Grammies...like a mini vacation

There is nothing like a weekend at Grammies house.  It is a mini vacation and I don't have to buy tickets, get frisked at an airport, or spend the day to get to my destination only to climb into some hotel bed where I wonder if there are bed bugs jumping into my hair, clothes, oh you get the picture.

Eli went to Grammie Potter's this weekend and what started out as one night ended up being two.  Although I didn't spend the weekend eating bon bons and getting rubbed by some swedish massous.  Scott replaced the floor in our first floor bathroom, I worked a few hours on Saturday and then we went to two party's....with no toddler.  Both mornings...we woke up when we wanted to...sleeping in until 7:00am is a big deal in our house.  We're early risers.

What is so strange about it is not having to keep one eye peeled on your conversation and then one eye peeled on the 2 year old and whether he has found a knife or someone's beer bottle.  For two days it was just us in the house.  No screeching with joy, no getting milk or defending the snack closet from the monstrous hunger of Eli, and not a whole lot of distraction to take you away from what you're doing.

I'd say the hardest part about living with a little person is the distraction.  He demands your attention.  We're working on teaching patience...and he does kind of get it.  Now, I'm not knocking the little guy, because he plays very well by himself and aside from not knowing how to cook...he can be somewhat self sufficient.  (Did I mention Eli makes a point to turn off lights....I LOVE THAT.)  He is a joy to have in our lives.  But two whole day's without being an immediate parent was just strange.  Was this what it used to be like?  Kind of seems boring.

With all the fun Scott and I had without the little devil, it was an amazing moment to be reunited with my little boy screaming "MOM" and dancing around.  He was even trying to share my arrival with everyone else as if they should be so excited to see me too...THEY SHOULD!

In the moments leading up to opening the door at Aunt Carolyn's house...I had forgot that I was about to see him.  I was so intent on getting there and seeing the family that I forgot that Eli was going to be there.  To be greeted with such enthusiasm it was as if I was being smacked back into reality and I loved it.

The drive back home was just a big nap for Eli.  Scott and I, in seperate cars, only wished we could close our eyes for a few winks just to re-coup.  Because although we were able to wake up when we wanted to, I think both of us were wiped out from just being busy around the house or playing outside.

No comments: