Monday, February 21, 2011

Baby McEnaney x 2

I think it only fair to write about adventures in baby-dom for the new and unborn young McEnaney. If anything for my own sanity and entertainment and so each baby has a bit of a story about them.


Now, Eli has gotten the shaft, it seems, since I haven't wrote on this blog since April 2009. Hmmm, that is just about 2 years ago since I stroked the keys on this blog. In fact, I couldn't even figure out how to get in to edit this page until Scott figured out that the account is registered to his google email account (who knew or remembered that he had that account...he did...I guess).


So here we are having completed 16 weeks...OH today marks 17 weeks of a pregnancy. So far it has been a bit more challenging than the cruise control that was Eli in early pregnancy. All predictions are that it is a girl...but that is a sweet mystery to me and one that is worth waiting for until baby comes out.


First a synopsis of what has happened so far:

  • Belly button has popped. Seeing as the muscles in my abdomen know what they are doing...they relaxed earlier and the belly button is the first part of me to enter the room. People keep requesting me to stop pointing at them.
  • My last appointment at the Doctors I had gained about 5 lbs and the baby's heart rate was 150 beats per minute.
  • Felt kicks in the last two weeks. Mostly felt like popcorn and with that sensation, the baby's nickname is now Popcorn.
  • I rolled over this A.M. and the first thing to hit Scott's arm was my belly. That is wierd.
  • Early on didn't feel so hot. Was pretty tired and felt like...DIRT. Barfed a few times due to a pregnancy acquired gag reflex. Tamed that one a bit, but can't walk around the house with my toothbrush (yes..I multi-task while brushing my teeth).

Second...not knowing a gender for your second baby. What are the predictions so far? Well for one everyone is guessing it is a girl. So I ask the group...why? What makes you think that? My initial reaction is that it is a girl, but I can't figure out if it is because it would be good to have a girl in the house or if I had a slightly rougher start to this pregnancy than the first which makes me think it is a girl that is "stealing my beauty".

I have predicted that my life would always be surrounded by boys. I grew up chumming around the neighborhood with boys, I can play sports with some of the boys, and now I live with a houseful of boys. AND, since Scott is one of two boys, doesn't it make sense that he is more likely to have "boy sperm" (Sorry Scott)? Talk about overthinking gender? Isn't it worth just finding out to just ease you into it....NOPE. Because this IS one of life's sweet surprises that isn't much like anything else that I can think of.

So the temptation of knowing what baby is going to be is diffinately there...big time. I'm not giving in to it.

With all of this in mind, how is Eli? Well he is fine and has absolutely NO idea what is going on. I've told him a few times, but to be honest, it is a pretty big thing to grasp for a two year old. I notice it and I wonder if he notices that my belly is poofing out. He can't lean into my body when he is spralling out before bed and we're reading his books. I find that he is trying to get comfortable and can't seem to find the nook to get into. He finds it eventually.


3 comments:

Betsy said...

YAY! I have been missing your blog during my pregnancy... I kept looking for updates. It was such great company last time around!

Sorry you've a rougher time this time, I have too...

Anyhew, Congratulations!! Hope the rest of pregnancy is better than the beginning, and I am excited to share in this time again!

Been too long since we have seen you guys!

Betsy

Betsy said...

ps, Eli is ADORABLE!!!!

Unknown said...

The Gunkle Section:
First I want to say, how excited I am with my new found connection with Eli. He came to me without hesitation recently with arms out and a big hug. Love my mini dude!
Second, although I was on the "twin" train and still wonder if the 1 heartbeat was actually in stereo, I am joining the chorus of girl predictions. I can vouch for Erin's tomboy abilities and her ability to fit in with the boys. But, There is the elegant side of her that is all girl and certainly could use the best reason of all to expose that more often, a daughter. Oh and Scotty, there is nothing like the first time your daughter asks you to dance and aren't girls better fishermen anyway. Congrats to you both, I can't wait.
Gunkle