Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What we've learned in two months

Eli is coming up on two months this Saturday. A whole two months. So if someone were to ask me what I've learned in two months or how life has changed I would tell them a few things.

One, I wouldn't say that Eli has dramatically changed our life he has just been welcomed and Incorporated into it. I hope that doesn't sound too bad. Like now for instance, I just walked to the post off with him in the baby carrier attached to my chest. A sure fire way to make him sleep...longer. And to continue that sleep, I haven't removed him from my chest, but I'm also rocking back and forth in my chair. Within days, we had ventured out to stores and to friends houses with Eli. They were all amazed that we were there. I've concluded that so long as the people in our circle of friends can listen to a crying child (4:30 and after) or mind a bare breast poking out at random, then we'll be there. Obviously no one has been traumatized by either and if they were, we probably wouldn't be friends with them.

Two, REM sleep can be entered into quickly if you can handle a few over night feedings and your baby goes right back to sleep. I've managed to continue my absurd dreams throughout these first two months. A feat that I don't think most parents can boast. I don't like to brag about that one freely, only when people comment on the possible lack of sleep.

Three, Eli is notorious for squirting in a new diaper within minutes of being changed. I recall one night when I changed him in the wee hours of the morning and he let out a juicy toot onto his clean diaper before I even closed him into it. Since no one was looking...I wiped off the little splats and buttoned him in. I'm only coming clean now.

Four, time flies. I say this because he is going to be two months old this Saturday but also because when he goes on adventures with daddy...that time flies too. And when he naps...that flies too. Luckily, he falls to sleep in his swing for an hour or more in the mornings so you can usually count on getting something done. Some days I get everything accomplished that I set out to do and I'm left wondering what to do next. As if there isn't a list a mile long that I couldn't re-visit and concur.

Five, sometimes Scott is right. I leave this one towards the end so hopefully you all won't get to it. A few weeks ago Scott said..."Erin, go and get a swing." I was dragging my feet on this one mostly because the swings are monstrous. Well not really that big, but at 4 feet high and 2 feet wide, you have to have some place to keep the darned thing. And it isn't exactly portable. Well, I caved and got one. He was right. That swing is what keeps Eli sleeping for so long in the mornings.

Six, crying is ok. Within two weeks of his precious arrival, we met a witching hour. Somewhere between 4:30 and 5:30pm every day, Eli enters a time when he has been completely spent from his busy day of sleeping, soiling diapers, and smiling or studying the world around him....Oh and eating. Can't forget that one. During this time he goes into an inconsolable crying fit where he acts out the word pathetic. He has even crafted a very cute lower lip curl to go with it. I can't help but laugh at him. Yes, at him. At first, we tried holding him because...well what else were we supposed to do. Within two days of holding not working, we decided that crying was his only option and he would do that in his room, without us. So Scott and I deposit him in his cradle, shut the door, and have a little time to ourselves (5-10 minutes at a time). It usually takes him two cycles (5-10 minutes of crying, a burp, and a cuddle) before he gives in and heads off to dream land. If there is one thing that he doesn't get from his mom, it is this reluctance to sleep. This night time ritual is apparently common at this stage and it isn't until later (3/4 months that they stop). I hope so, because I really look forward to reading to him and having that be his night time ritual.

Seven, be lite on the gassy and spicy foods. So my favorite veggie...Broccoli and I love spicy foods. Not 5 alarm fire spicy foods, but curry or wasabi or salsa. The second night Eli was in our life, I dined on Salmon and Broccoli (still in the hospital). Yes, a veggie that doesn't necessarily cause gas in me can apparently cause gas in him. So I've been light on the gassy foods since then. Man I miss eating a heaping pile of broccoli. And Curry. I guess word has travelled quickly about my adventures in stuffing myself with curry. Eli, doesn't like it as much well at least not yet. Lets hope he changes his mind on this one so he and I can visit the curry huts together.

Eight, sing and make ryhmes to make things interesting. Today, I told Eli that we haven't sung a few songs in a while. Like..."Touch the magic button and it toots toots toots". That one is a favorite of mine. And then theres "Mommy, mommy, milk machine. She makes milk for me." Another classic one lined song that I think is hysterical. For those of you who know me and my imagination, I also write songs. About nothing. I hope he enjoys them as much as I do and will come to have as warped a sense of humor as Scott and I.

Nine, never tell them that you can't wait for them to do something. I can wait for him to do things. Otherwise, I'll just be rushing his growing up and before I know it, Eli will be a teenager and bringing home some hot young thing that I'll have to grill to be sure she is good enough for my little boy.

Ten, they become number one very quickly. Scott often jokes that he is now second fiddle. Both of my boys are important to me in different ways. But I will also say that as much as I am in love with Eli, Scott is too. You should see the visable disappointment when Scott has rushed home from work to see Eli only to find that he is sleeping. Luckily for me and Scott, the boys now have their time in the morning together. Eli wakes between 5:30 and 6:30am and Scott will get up with him and feed him and they have man time. Eli is at his best in the morning. And smiles...he has an awesome smile.

So these are just ten things I've learned in two months. Well, these are the ten that I can remember because I'm sure there are a ton more. Stay tuned for the 2 month picture with the shrinking elephant!

By the way, I'm still rocking back and forth. Oh wait, there could be an eye opening coming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:o) Love what you have learned. Poor Bea will think we didn't love her because Amelia keeps us too busy to take pictures and write things down.

Anyhew, I was rocking today, and I wasn't even holding Bea! My knees are Shot from rocking yet I do it when I don't even have to!

Hope you are doing well! See you in a couple weeks!!

Betty McEnaney said...

The Last Lecture was what a parent can teach a child...You are creating a wonderful story about what kids teach adults. You leave us hanging for the next installment! Love it.

Anonymous said...

What fun it is to read about this wonderful process of becoming a parent. You've put things into words I often thought but couldn't express when my own were born and growing. Now I find myself saying things like, "I'm so glad you feel comfortable talking to me about everything, but there are some things your mom just doesn't want to hear." I never thought there would come a time... Cousin Tineke from Nebraska