Saturday, November 29, 2008

Diapers and Wipes

Today I headed off to the fine city of Albany to get a few things, Christmas shop, etc. Stupid me forgot the cat food though so tonight is going to be tough as the cats will shortly begin to protest their empty or half empty bowls.

Anyway, I went to Target, BJ's, and Babies R' Us and did a little price comparison on diapers. Babies R' Us I kind of ruled out because I predicted they would be more pricey than, say, Target or BJ's. To be honest, I didn't write all of it down because I'm a nimrod and that would be the smart thing to do. I headed to BJ's where I expected the prices to be dirt cheap. After all, it is like meca for bulk goods. I scored a good deal on cereal, but the diapers weren't exactly as exciting and discounted as I was hoping for.

First off, BJ's doesn't carry a variety of newborn diapers and the sizing, I think, is more like hit or miss so you better hope your kid meets the weight capacity. After being less than impressed with the newborn diaper selection, I headed around the corner to Target to see what their offerings were. It was a little better, but I'm looking for bulk here people. In any case, I did a price comparison on pampers and huggies and found huggies to be the more expensive choice, hands down. When I say expensive that translates to $1 to $2 dollars more. I'm a cheap son of a gun now aren't I? HOWEVER, when you think of how many times this kid is going to poo and pee in a day, I'm going for the cheaper option at this point. I bought 92 diapers for the bargain price of $18.99. Considering the stories I've heard, this kid is going to go through that in roughly 9 days, so Pampers is on a 9 day trial period to see if I'm happy with their product.

How did I reach this decision? Well, I took more into account other than price. For this next part, I brought in a consultant....My Mom. Now Diapers have come a long way since changing my 30 year old butt, but seeing as she was home and I knew she would know what diapers Eric and Deena used, I figured this would be a good starting point. So I asked the question, "what do Eric and Deena use?" Huggies. Darned they sure are pricey, I thought to myself. Then I asked well, what if I buy this diaper and the baby turns out to be allergic to it? She asked if Scott or I had any known allergies to fabrics and I said no. Then she said it was pretty unlikely that the baby would so go with the cheaper option. You can always change your mind....after the 9 day trial period.

How did I get to the conclusion that there could be an allergy on its butt? Well, I read way too much about this crap. Basically, I've been researching diapers and if there is any one place that has better pricing. Not really, but in the mean time I managed to read about these mothers and babies whose diaper rash magically disappeared when they changed brands or something. OF COURSE, MY CHILD WILL SUFFER FROM THAT. Why wouldn't it?

So, I toned myself down a notch and just bought what I perceived to be the best deal. After all, if baby poos or pees 10 times a day, that translates to my 92 pack of diapers lasting 9 days, which means that we'll spend 65.32 for one month of this baby pooing and peeing. By the end of 2009, we'll have spent 783.84. That doesn't include tax.

How soon can you start potty training?

3 comments:

Betty McEnaney said...

I can understand the comparison shopping. I bet you try them both and then come up with a favorite. Hopefully the cheaper version is the one! Now that you have a basis for pricing and once you decide which ones you like, why don't you supply the grandmothers with your findings. If they happen to be out and about and they see the diapers on sale somewhere, they can grab them. I seem to remember seeing them in sale flyers at Kmart and the grocery stores. I will watch for coupons, too.

Don't laugh, one of my sellers started potty training at 6 months...seems weird to me, but there are a bunch of websites that talk about this. It sounds like a way to add stress to mom's and baby's lives that isn't needed. More power to them.

Anonymous said...

If you want my 2 cents, we liked the pampers swaddlers when Amelia was small, they were the only ones that fit her just right. When she outgrew them, I found that I HATED huggies, we had a big box that we got at BJs in the scratch and dent section, such a deal. I didn't even want to use them all! I actually prefer Target brand diapers to huggies. We have been using target brand during the day and pampers at night since Amelia outgrew the swaddlers.

Also, I believe that around 2 is the early side for potty training, for the normal methods. I too have heard of parents who "potty train" from birth, but its a messy and TIME CONSUMING process.

We are about to attempt potty training, we are at 23 months and 25 days :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
how are you feeling?? Almost there! Hope you have a Wonderful Christmas (well, I hope you can have a somewhat comfortable/relaxed Christmas!!)

In case I don't get to see you/talk to you before hand, GOOD LUCK with everything!!! Enjoy your new McEnaney bundle of joy :o)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

:o)
Love
Betsy