Thursday, November 27, 2008

TURKEY DAY

So, Turkeys come with a popper thing that pops when it is done right? So if humans come with a belly button and it pops out, does that mean they're done too? Well I guess for the people in this world who have full time outies, they would always be done...what would that mean? Darn it, I think this means that belly buttons have nothing to do with being done.

Happy Thanksgiving. Yesterday, I was in the grocery store (that is another story/paragraph) and I was picking up my groceries for today's meal (not much...just potatoes and some other stuff). At one point, next to the yogurt section, I began to think to myself what this holiday is all supposed to be about?

When I think Thanksgiving, I think VERY warm house (Gramma Potter's levels out at about 80 degrees. Thank god we are not going to go there, I would have to wear a bikini.) and food. That is the first place my mind goes. Not exactly the intent of the day. Now I believe there has been some hallmark added to this holiday to make us all think for one day what we would be thankful for. Ok, I'll say it, we should be thankful every day...cue inspirational and sappy music now. It is a true statement I suspect and I'm sure we all have moments the other 364 days of the year that we think how thankful we are for something. I look at Scott and my dogs and think that just about every day. But on this day, we've made a holiday to remind our selves to be thankful for something(s).

So back to the grocery store...
I was pushing my cart around and viewing all of the strange faces in the store. I recognized about 3 faces while there. And as I passed the yogurt section, after I realized I forgot my tomato way back in the fresh vegetable section, I had a moment where I thought...what is this all for again? OH...to be thankful. Then I could feel my head well up with pressure as if I was going to splurge out tears in the middle of Hannafords. I snapped out of it quickly because it would have been completely ridiculous for me to do this. Good thing I've got a protruding belly button to explain the complete emotional break down. I didn't want to go there though. Nothing worse than someone thinking or saying..."Oh, that it explains it, she's pregnant!" Poo on them for giving me an excuse of why I'm doing what I'm doing. What is there excuse? By the way, I don't know how I've handled this whole chivalry thing that happens when you are pregnant. I had to come to terms that I should be graceful and kind when someone does that because then I'd be labeled the cranky, ungrateful pregnant lady and they would all say..."she's cranky because of the hormones. Ohhhhh."

So if I could think of some things I'm thankful for today and every day, here is a short list. If I've left something off, well that is because it is 6:50 in the morning and I'm a tad groggy...I laid in bed between 3:00-4:00am with my mind thinking about life...Yeah...not thankful for my brain at 3:00am, by the way.

My thankful list:
Dewey, he is laying here in the desk while I write and he is trying to pretend that his eyes are closed.
Scott
Diesel and Ghillie
The roof over my head. It is a great house with its own set of quirks.
All of my family. Because they love us a ton and they show it by caring and asking and calling and all sorts of other ways...just being there.
Spending time with my family.
Having a family dinner. Any time of year.
Food in my belly
The person in side of my belly
Sweatpants and sweat shirts
My friends and their families. It is amazing how the families adopt you.
Being able to go outdoors and walk/run/breath fresh air
Living where I live
Being able to get to where I need to go...like my family and friends house
Flavored decaf coffee
My bed (it has got to be one of the coziest beds in the country)
My neighbors
People who express some form of chivalry regardless of your physical state. It should be a constant.

There are many other things that I'm thankful for, but the blog entry would be about a mile long. These are my top picks.

So happy thanksgiving. I know this really doesn't have anything to do with the turkey in my oven, but sometimes the conversation has to shift. I hope you all have a good turkey day and enjoy the company you are with, even it is just one other person. Please travel safely.

1 comment:

Betty McEnaney said...

Hey girl, once again you triggered laughter and tears and some serious pondering...I read your post first thing in the morning, and thought about family all day, and it was bittersweet. You guys are wonderful. love you.