Sunday, January 4, 2009

ZZZzzzzz

WAKE UP. That is what I do about 4 times per night. It usually isn't pleasant either. It happens suddenly and for about 5 seconds I lay there wondering what woke me up. Did Scott stir? Is someone in the house? Did my water break? Did the baby do that? From what I can tell it is nothing more than I woke up. All part of the magical mystery of "training you for baby". After the five seconds is up, I manage to creep out of the bed to go to the bathroom. I don't exactly have the urge to go, but I figure I might as well make the most of my time awake. I'm sure there is something in there.

Lets go back to the creeping out of bed part. Basically, when I sleep it is like my muscles all attempt to go back to a somewhat normal state and it HURTS. If someone watched me rolling off the bed (yes that is the most effective and least painful way), they would probably think I was a 100 lb sac of potatoes trying to work their way through the produce isle to be sold. After I stand up, I have to give my body a minute to adjust itself because that stupid nerve is now bugging me from both sides of my A$$ and it hurts to walk. I call that my 10 seconds of feeling 1 million years old. Then I manage to force a step, because the walking actually helps the pain in both sides of my A$$.

For the past several months, the cats have been diligently at their posts in the bathroom listening to the mice in the floor. So after I roll my sac of potatoes out of bed and manage three 1 million year old steps, I'm greeted by two wacko cats staring at the bathtub. This whole thing is strange. Side note: As for the mice in the bathroom, we're currently conquering the basement (I'm sure they're all related) and so far we're down 2. But these mice I'm sure produce babies like rabbits (boy I'd like to give those mothers a piece of my mind) and they come out sooner than we "catch" them.

Dreaming has increased too. First I'll remind most of you that I love to sleep. That can come in the form of overnight, but my most favorite is a nap. I don't normally dream when I'm napping. But I've got a great history of dreaming during those 8 hours over night. For months during the pregnancy, I have been on a dream diet. I had great dreams before and then nothing at all. At least I haven't been remembering any of them. Recently, though, things have picked back up. I've had multiple dreams about being in the hospital and being in the labor process. I'd say this is due mostly to my growing anticipation about mid January. Some are worth sharing with everyone because they're good and some are not worth sharing with people who have a weak stomach. Yeah..those are the more crazy ones and I can't begin to think where I came up with some of that stuff.

After all these disturbances at night, I'm so thankful of Scott. On new years day, I took two naps. One at about 9:00am and one at 1:00pm-ish. Yesterday, I took another after a REALLY bad night sleep. Scott has never ever given me any grief for my napping habits. He is especially good about it now. Mostly because I cry when I tell him how tired I am. I've been having a bit of the pity party lately and he listens. I'll admit to being completely ridiculous, but he is excellent at saying "you're beautiful"or "why don't you take a nap with the dogs" or "why don't you go do something by yourself". I'd also say the smile on his face when he walks into a room and sees this HUGE belly (well huge for me) is something to remember too. I'm guessing most times he does this, I don't see the smile. But I'll catch him every once in a while and smile back. Usually with some bit of sarcasm.

Well, here is to never really getting a good nights sleep. I think it is a bit cruel to train a woman like this. You think mother nature would give you a reprieve just before you're about to never sleep again. But, last night I think I only woke up twice and I'll take that. ANY DAY! At least I'm a good napper. Please don't take that from me.

1 comment:

Betty McEnaney said...

Laughs and chuckles and tears all at once...how can it be? Thank you for painting such a vivid picture. Oh, how I remember rolling out of bed. It is amazing that one's spine becomes a rigid pole when the belly is full of baby. It seemed that when I couldn't imagine standing it anymore...somehow it was magically time for it to be over. Maybe you are almost there.

Erin, I am halfway through a book by Kelly Corrigan titled The Middle Place. You share her writing style, and I think you would enjoy it.

Well, since the walk didn't do it, you might as well sneak in another nap. Timothy is back safe and sound. Love to you all.