Tuesday, June 7, 2011

2.5 years and I still cried leaving him at "school"

Today....Eli is the new kid at school.  We decided to start him at a "school" (a fancy word for day care) because it was time that Eli be around 1.  other kids and 2. be in a more structured environment.  This has been the plan for 2.5 years now, but when it came right down to it....I cried like a baby when I left the parking lot.  I actually teared up before getting into my car.  This has to be a good primer for when he starts Kindergarten or goes to high school or prom or college or moves out or has his own kids or, well you get the idea.  Right?

You can blame it on the wildly raging hormones that are pouring through my veins right now, but I don't think my reaction is far off.  My perspective has changed since having one baby and I find myself wondering if anything is good enough and will he be "OK" mentally after he goes through our upbringing.  After all, the choices that Scott and I make today somehow impact him later. 

I guess my main concern, other than did we make a right decision, is whether or not the School/Day Care will like him?  Will he be expelled because he snatched a toy or pushed another child?  Will the teachers describe him to co-workers as a pain or a brat.  Clearly, I don't think either of those awful nicknames would fit him.  I'm biased though.  I would, however, describe him as confident, loving, a leader, a charmer, someone who is learning and willing to negotiate, a protester, a person who is quick to "get over it", a funny little guy and many more positive things that reflect my child in the best possible way.  (Huh...I read some of these attributes and I think of Scott and I....how strange).  I would rather have these attributes than some others that I'll leave out of this article for fear of offending and also bringing abuse to myself.

There isn't much I can do to control others oppinions of my kids, or even myself.  But I'd be a bit peeved if someone didn't like him.  He is, after all, perfect.  And ONLY Scott or I can point out his faults.  His grandparents are quick to defend him.

Week two is not going as smoothly.  Monday drop off came and he started crying when I pulled in the driveway.  I cried as I pulled out of the driveway.

He is our boy (maybe not the only one we have...we shall soon find out) and no one can ever explain your love for your own child.  I guess this entire lesson has made me think and reflect on our decisions and how they impact him.  Tough job!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Oh Erin, I am sorry it was rough starting school! I actually teared up when we went to visit Amelia's preschool before she was even enrolled. A classmate of mine has coined the term "pregnantly" I believe it is, so you "pregnantly" cried. I only had 3.5 years to prepare for my visit to preschool. Hope its gotten better!