Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cheese cake and Ice Cream = 8 lbs. 10 oz.

**DUH..note the original post was listed at 8lbs. 9 oz. Yes...he actually weighed 8lbs. 10 oz.

SO it has been nearly two weeks since welcoming little Eli T. McEnaney into this world. What a rush. You all have heard the gory details of labor and delivery. I'll add my one recommendation for getting things started...Snow Shoeing. That will get things going.

I can now understand why women and families opt to video tape their birth. At this point, I have what is in my memory and I'll promise you that I will forget details by the time he reaches 30. (Scary thought). I will say that I couldn't have possibly asked for a better group of people to be a part of my birthing experience. Even Eli helped to get himself out of there. Scott was the most amazing person/team mate in the world. Just when I thought of just resting he would push me again as he knew that I had the guts and strength to do it, even if I doubted myself. Despite the fact that he was technically a little off his due date, I am appreciative of the fact that he came at 6:04am. I was an early baby..not sure about Scott...and I always enjoyed the mornings and breakfast is one of my most favorite meals of the day. I credit that to being born at 8:00am.

So what now, today I didn't muster up a shower and I didn't even brush my teeth. We focused more on catching up on some sleep as he had a bit of a rough go of it last night and wasn't into sleeping. Scott has proclaimed I can no longer eat beef stew. Eli wouldn't stop eating last night. I did manage to bake chocolate chip cookies today. Strange I opted for that over a shower, but I can shower tomorrow.

After leaving the hospital almost two weeks ago, I often wonder if they'll let me back in. Those ladies were awesome. They took such good care of Eli and us and although I wasn't at 100% while in there, they made you feel like yourself and just kept your spirits up. What an awesome group of nurses and doctors. The scariest part of giving birth was probably going home to start your life with this little person. Holy Crap! Last Wednesday, Scott said...Babe, as of today we've been doing this a whole week and as of Friday, we've been doing it a whole week by ourselves. WHOA. To think I've got the rest of my life with this little person. Each Friday might become a bit of celebration as we complete another week of his life without traumatizing him for life.

So my grace period is reaching its end. I finished the cookies, but he is now waking up so I'll have to finish up this post, mostly about nothing. But perhaps it is about surviving almost two weeks on our own. I would love to hear about other stories of parenting to make us feel better, because according to Grammy Potter he is an easy baby. To date, we've only called the Dr. once about some things he is doing that turns out are completely normal. Strange that we would have moments of nervous parenting as new parents.

One thing I do miss is spending cuddle time with the dogs. Scott has taken on that role right now, but I miss having a cuddle with Diesel or Ghillie. They are handling things quite well so far, but we're trying to make efforts to make them feel special.

Well, here is to a post about really nothing at all..just random thoughts and absolutely nothing to do with the title. All I have to say about 8 lbs. 9 oz. is yeah...I did that. And I would do it all over again.

2 comments:

Betty McEnaney said...

Erin, I love it when an email pops up that says there is a new entry to the Eli Blog. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your life, and for letting us reminisce at the same time about our own child-rearing experiences! I don't know if I can upload it, but I took a picture of the little card that was at the end of Eli's hospital bassinet. The hospital said he was 8 lbs 10.1 oz. You need to give yourself more credit!!

Anonymous said...

hehehe, I can't say it was Cheese cake and Ice cream for me, but it was DEFINITELY sweets and desserts = 8 lbs. 10 oz for me and Bea.

Hey, I don't think I got to say CONGRATS and Good Job to you! I think I posted it on facebook for Scott, but I didn't say Good Job to him :o) that is for you! Eli is ADORABLE! I loved seeing the pics on Eric and Scott's facebook. Grammy Potter said you are worried about his nose. I LOVE it!! OH, Grammy Potter also said to tell you that Bea also wants to eat all the time. I have to say she's not so bad at night, but her older sister makes sure I don't get too much sleep, and I only have one chance to nap, when Amelia is napping... well, when she does decide to cooperate :o)

Anyhew, he's super cute. I love your blog, but I loved the email that your mom forwarded on even more (although both make me tear up... its not the hormones so much as the lack of sleep) Its hard reading the funny parts aloud to Brian cuz he doesn't like me to cry :o)

Apparently there are already some match makers, but I am afraid for at least for the first part of their lives that Bea is a bit of a "big girl" and I am hoping that Eli surpasses the "Butter ball" (Grammie White calls her that... a few fat rolls and everyone starts being so complimentary!)

I hope that you get some sleep soon, and I am glad that its all worth it :o)

If it makes you feel any better, after Amelia I was lucky to eat, showers were Way lower on the list. Its way easier in some ways this time, I am able to shower, its just with a two year old either hanging into the tub or in the tun :o)

People keep asking how it is with two, and all I have to say is that Bea is an easy baby thank goodness... cuz Amelia is a HANDFUL. I hear she takes after her dad :o) (but with more drama, like her Auntie Holly).

Boy, I think I need to get out more, I am about to write about other people's baby stories!! I think my favorite hard time going home is Brian's cuz, it took him and his wife 45 mins to change their sons first diaper.... I don't know HOW they did at least get that down in the hospital!

Hmm... sadly, I only have one good story of Bea, but if you want Amelia stories... I don't think Eli could possibly be a more challanging 2 year old... let me just say Eggs + Rug * 4... yeah.

Bea, well, she LOVES to eat... thus the many, many rolls. Grammie White says she couldn't put her legs together if she wanted to, and that is why she is always in the froggy position (one of my FAV newborn things)

Anyhew, Bea, her mothers daughter loves to eat (we had brownies, not cookies today) and she spits up.a.lot, well, Amelia didn't spit up at all... so it is a lot. There was some that got air. I think that qualifies. Anyhew, there have been times where it comes out her nose when she spits up. The highlight was when she was still eating, and spit up and it came out her nose :o) I will stop there, but there are some good/ugly spit up stories. Sadly Bea is not the "main show" here, so I don't have any more good baby stories for now...

It was great to see your mom and hear that you are doing well and that you had more posts!! (and she was so confused about the wt in the post :)

Good Luck! Happy Sleeping, and feeding! Some peeps like to read, or watch tv, I wasn't able to do anything else with Amelia for a while... feeding took all of my attention!

Happy Baby! Happy Birth!