Monday, October 13, 2008

The impossibility of looking ahead

Early on in this process I would make proclamations about what I am going to do as a mother. I think it is only natural for a person to set some expectations and general rules when they are planning and preparing for babies arrival. We also get a lot of advice from people who have done this before. Don't get the wrong idea. It isn't that Scott or I don't appreciate the personal experiences of others that have gone through this before us, I think it is natural for one to think they know what they are talking about. And of course we do...we own dogs...and they have trained us and prepared us for being parents. I hear you all say...Yeah, right!


While I don't disagree with that last statement 100% (I do think they have helped and taught us a TON about being concerned for our "kids"), I do say that I've given up on my predictions for what it will be like. Fact is...I DON'T HAVE A DARNED CLUE. As someone recently shared with Scott about dogs (yes,...dog's again) a real dog owner is someone who knows that they are not all alike and they each need an individualized approach to training. I do believe, so do children. That is one thing...I do know.

On to the real topic. In the last 6 months, I've given up on the proclamations. I do stick by a few things that we are at least going to try:

1. Biodegradable/compostable Diapers (at least 80-90% of the time) (Check out gdiapers.com)
2. I will try to make my baby's food using a food mill and ice cube trays.
3. Baby will be carried around in a sling or back pack on turkey scouting trips and or hikes.
4. I'll be going back to work. Even though I know it will probably be one of the most difficult days of my life.

As for life with baby McEnaney, there is one area of my life that I'm sure will be an adjustment. How is it that I can possibly fit running back into my life after baby? It is all of 50 minutes of my day. There are PLENTY of women that I know who have managed to do this. Some of them have gone on to train for marathons while raising small children. I reckon I'm going to keep my sights a little more realistic at this point (remember, I gave up on the proclamations...at least the public ones)...(Until now). I've resolved to running in the Bennington Road Race in May 2009. Baby McEnaney will be approximately 5 months old at that point.

I guess why this race is such a goal for me is that it would mark 1 year since I "suspected" something bigger was going on in my body. Deena (my sister in law) also ran in the race and did really well. She has two kids under 5. I haven't been running throughout this whole process. I did a little bit, but once I backed off a week I didn't go back. I will say that I've been walking almost every day and sometimes up to 50 minutes (which...causes some pain in places that I don't care to share with you all). The most frustrating part of all this is that my legs don't feel it, but other parts do. So there is a big urge to actually run. Instead of running, I usually find the hilliest route possible as it feels AWESOME (I actually like it) to climb a hill. Plus, when you're at the top you usually get to go down and/or there is a really nice view.

When I would read all these silly books about babies development, I was particularly effected by the development of the ears. Having two hyper dogs (one of them being 6 months old), I found myself easily aggravated by their wrestling and bumping into my legs. I would try to comfort them out of the wrestling, but once in a while the holler would come out. Good practice for my kids, I guess. When I felt myself getting aggravated, I would either get Scott to yell or I would find another way to get them out of what they were doing. I resolved that babies first words were not going to be "No! Diesel" or "No! Ghillie" Gosh lets hope instead for Dad or Mom or Uncle Tim/Eric or Grammy or Grapefruit (that might be pushing it). Anything but "NO". I'll hear enough of that later in life.

The other part that effected me about baby having ears and hearing things, was that I found myself listening to a lot more "singable" music. Not always soothing, but something I could sing to. I hope to sing to it when it comes out. My most recent collection of CD's in the car (my studio) is Madonna. Deena and I went to Madonna this past Wednesday and it was AWESOME. I was a little concerned that the base of the music was going to injure it somehow, but I couldn't possibly bring myself to stand outside and listen. THIS IS MADONNA. Baby didn't react so much during, but it was quite active afterwards. Nothing out of the norm though. As the concert ended and we left our seats, I couldn't help but notice two, yes TWO, other very pregnant women. I figured, eh....I'm not the only wild pregnant lady here.

So here is to afterwards. When our life has been turned upside down by a small little person. With each kick, I get more excited. I can't wait to see what this person is going to be like. And here is to my short list of proclamations! I hope to complete them and I hope that you'll all kick me in the A$$ when I think I can't do it. Bottom line, I know I'll do some of them.

1 comment:

Betty McEnaney said...

Your post made me stop and think…my thoughts about your proclamations and a few other topics for good measure:

Common sense: Kids are like most anything else. When you use common sense, you will likely make the right choice.

Ask when you want advice: Sometimes you may wonder…is this normal? What did Susie Q do with her baby? How do I know when….. If you think someone might have an answer, ask the question. Most people aren’t mind readers, and they don’t know when you are looking for info.

Unsolicited advice: Take what you want and leave the rest. If you like what you hear, use it. If you don’t, toss it. Just smile and nod.

Love: Love fixes most anything. Skinned knee. Monsters under the bed. Broken toy. Equally good for babies and spouses.

Slings and backpacks: Learn by the mistakes of the previous generation....watch out for frostbite and sunburn (Sorry Scott...we didn't mean it).
Skip toys with batteries: A) Saves a fortune, B) Fosters creative thinking, C) Makes for a quieter household.

Television: Ditch it. Children don’t need to hear or see all the stuff on TV. It will let them be kids so much longer.

Dogs: Always have a houseful. They make you smile, the will be your kid's best friends, and they are great at cleaning up the floor under the high chair. They have been great practice.

Yelling at the dogs: the sound of your raised voice to Ghillie and Diesel is likely pretty muffled. You can probably get away with it if you have to.

Diapers: Biodegradable sound good. If cost is a factor, cloth diapers aren’t so bad at home, and you can save the disposable for daycare and travel.

Baby food: It would seem that a diet free of additives and sugars/sweeteners would be good to strive for. Grinding your own is a great idea. If the food is a little dry, add a bit of applesauce…works like a charm.

Work: Not a bad thing. It lets you look forward to the end of the day when you pick him/her up, it lets you talk to other adults and keep your sanity, and it makes you be a good planner.

Running: Good for Dad to have one on one time with him/her. By running with your big stroller, you will run like the wind when you aren’t pushing it in the race.

Individuals: Kids are like snowflakes. No two are alike. Cherish the differences.

Examples: Kids learn what they see and hear. Your actions will teach them without you having to say a word, and without you knowing it is happening.

No room for disappointment just set a new goal: If things aren’t going exactly as you thought they might, just step back and rethink it. Having a new direction or a new goal will realign your thoughts and will give you a boost. Same holds true for Squidgy when he/she gets older.

Instincts: Trust them. You will be wonderful parents.